A garden gate in 5 EASY steps!

www.joy2journey.com

I am not sure when or where I learned to make gates but … they are so very easy!

This gate literally took me a half hour from start to finish … once I assembled my materials. 🙂

Step 1

www.joy2journey.com

Measure the width of your opening and subtract an inch.

Figure out how tall you want your gate to be. Subtract a foot.

* I wanted mine to be 4 feet tall to match the height of the fence so I subtracted a foot and made my frame 3 feet tall.

Assemble your materials …

2 X 4’s to make the frame

1 X 4’s for the gate slats

My work space is outside where I have plenty of room to move around!

Step 2

www.joy2journey.com

In order to make your frame SQUARE you need to make sure that your diagonal measurements are the same.

ie. 45 inches both ways (whatever your measurement is)

* If you don’t have your diagonal measurements the same … your gate will be lopsided and not fit in the opening.

Seriously, this is the step that takes the most time, as this is the MOST important.

Step 3

www.joy2journey.com

The diagonal board is a 2X4 but for this gate I did not have a left over 2X4.

I used 2 – 2X2’s.

(I was using left over wood that I had on hand … making this gate … FREE!)

I lay the diagonal wood under the frame to mark it with a pencil , but for teaching purposes, I took the photo this way to show you.

www.joy2journey.com

Step 4

www.joy2journey.com

My gate is going to be 4 feet high so I cut 1X4X8 boards in half.

Cut off 1 inch diagonal on each top corner (just to make it pretty) and use a piece of wood for a spacer between slats for easy measurement.

I like to place the slats a bit higher toward the top of the frame than the bottom.

www.joy2journey.com

Add your hinges and latch according to how you want your  gate to open.

(It helps to have another person to hold the gate while you attach the gate to the posts!)

www.joy2journey.com

That is all there is …

Easy Peasy!

IMG_1048

You can find the rest of making the garden {HERE}

I am thinking I want to paint the gate a whimsical color but as of this post there has not been a dry day to paint.

If you have any questions … please comment or email me.

Remodelaholic

35 Responses to "A garden gate in 5 EASY steps!"

1. angela

June 16, 2013 at 6:33 PM

Pinning this to show my husband. I know the perfect place in our yard for this. Thanks for sharing the tutorial. You made it look easy! I think I could convince him to help me w/ it! 🙂

Angela @ Number Fifty-Three

2. Anne@DesignDreams

June 16, 2013 at 7:21 PM

Look at you go! Love your little garden and the gate is perfect!

June 17, 2013 at 9:05 AM

Ok, the wascally wabbits are singing a song… “can’t touch that”.

Bliss

4. Sue

June 17, 2013 at 6:42 PM

Fun project for you- you are just too plain handy! Your garden gate really is a work of art. My talents lie waaay far away from the use of saws. I can wield a mean hammer, though… 🙂

June 17, 2013 at 7:18 PM

Angela,
    Thanks for the Pin! It is easy and I am sure he would help you out with it!!!

June 17, 2013 at 7:26 PM

Anne,
    Thank you! We need more sunshine for the plants but it is fun having it!

June 17, 2013 at 7:28 PM

Bliss,
    I, evidently, have a very good imagination because it made me laugh just thinking about it!

June 17, 2013 at 7:33 PM

Sue,
    I am sure that you could use a saw too. They seem scary at first but they grow on you! Thank you for stopping by and the kind words!

9. Cathy

June 17, 2013 at 11:11 PM

New follower through Let’s Get Social Sunday!

I would love for you to share and link up at my weekly TGIF Link Party if you haven’t already this week. Your favorite posts, most popular, recent or new! The party is open every Thursday night and closes Wednesday’s at midnight. http://apeekintomyparadise.blogspot.com/. Hope you will join us! Have a wonderful week!

Hugs, Cathy

10. D@TheShadyPorch

June 21, 2013 at 10:04 AM

Nice tutorial. Thanks so much for joining the Rock ‘N Share party…hope to see you again soon! Blessings, D@TheShadyPorch P.S. – Following via G+ , Bloglovin and Twitter.

11. Pingback: 7 Creative Ideas! | Projects, Crafts, Recipes, and More! | Practically Functional

12. Jessi @ Practically Functional

June 24, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Great tutorial, I love your gate! In case you didn’t see it earlier, I featured this on my blog today! I’m stopping by to pin it, and to let you know you can grab a Featured button if you don’t already have one! http://practicallyfunctional.net/2013/06/7-creative-ideas-4/

June 24, 2013 at 2:10 PM

I grabbed a button! Thank you!!! Love your party and the great ideas I find there.

14. Michele

June 24, 2013 at 5:41 PM

Awesome project!!! Pinned to my summer garden board! http://www.sewsweetvintage.com/2013/06/beachy-pillows.html

June 24, 2013 at 6:00 PM

Michele,
    Thank you for the pin! So appreciated!!! Looks like someone graduated! Congrats

16. Pingback: Project Inspire{d} Linky Party #19 | Cupcakes & Crinoline - Part 1

17. Mary Beth @ Cupcakes and Crinoline

June 24, 2013 at 7:32 PM

This is such a wonderful tutorial ~ hopefully I can make one of these when my garden is BIG enough…right now it’s just teeny weeny.

I wanted to thank you for linking up to last week’s Project Inspire{d} and let you know that I featured you on this week’s Project Inspire{d} ~ pinned!

Have a lovely week, Mary Beth

18. Susan

June 25, 2013 at 7:27 AM

Love this project! What a great idea … and great tutorial.

19. Mike

March 19, 2014 at 6:44 PM

Your diagonal should bottom mount on the hinge side rather than the latch side. Much stronger and less likely to sag.

March 23, 2014 at 9:01 AM

Mike,
    You are right! Out of three gates, this is the only one that was mounted on the opposite side. Reason being, I thought I was going to open it one way, and the terrain did not allow that to happen. Thank you for the informative insight!

21. Denise

June 9, 2015 at 11:24 AM

Thanks for sharing! I’m also sending this to my husband to build for me. 🙂

22. Paul

July 16, 2015 at 6:10 AM

Hi, did you nail or screw the frame together?

July 25, 2015 at 12:08 PM

I always use screws for the stability. My father always used them as well and since I learned from him I guess that is why it is my “go to”.
    Good question!

August 23, 2015 at 8:11 PM

Hi Paul,
    I screwed the frame together. I think it holds better that way!

25. Shawna

September 13, 2015 at 7:41 PM

THANK YOU! Very basic and straight forward! I know how to measure and run a saw (helped my hubby build our garage), I can definitely build this gate! I’m getting chickens and will need a gate for their run, so this is perfect! And since we have so much scrap leftover from our garage, it’s going to be practically free! I will probably put chicken wire under the slats and stain it with our leftover deck stain! I’m so excited!! Thanks again!

26. Peter Kornum

November 2, 2015 at 8:01 AM

Just One comment
    The support beam is wrong … It is supposed to keep the gate from sagging over time… Så always have it “lifting the latch” or “bottom hinge to latch”
    If you open the gate and Press Down on it, it will flex…

27. Patricia

April 4, 2016 at 4:46 PM

Thank you so much. I badly need a back gate, though a taller one. They aren’t cheap so will now go and cost the wood and see what I can do. You make it look so simple. Thank you for such a clear tutorial.

April 14, 2016 at 7:45 PM

Patricia,

I hope you find it is easier than you think. I can knock out a gate in 30 min. Good luck!

29. Lucie

May 26, 2016 at 6:40 AM

If you’re building a double wide gate (two sides) do you measure the opening and divide by 2, then take off an inch on each half? That’s what makes sense in my head, but am I missing some gate guru wisdom?

30. Clara

June 1, 2017 at 9:44 AM

How do you secure the diagonal. I see no screws holding it in.

31. Pingback: 12 Gorgeous Garden Gates to Inspire You - Create a Beautiful Garden

32. Summer Garden

March 24, 2018 at 6:28 AM

I blog frequently and I really thank you for your information. This article has really
    peaked my interest. I’m going to bookmark your site and keep checking for new details
    about once per week. I subscribed to your RSS feed as
    well.

33. BestLeia

May 10, 2018 at 10:32 AM

I have noticed you don’t monetize your blog, don’t waste your traffic, you
    can earn extra cash every month because you’ve got hi quality content.
    If you want to know how to make extra $$$, search for: Ercannou’s
    essential adsense alternative

34. Reanne

May 16, 2018 at 12:16 PM

Thanks – I used this to make my first gate! So cute. I would love it if you could expand a bit on the diagonal piece info, tho. I may have misunderstood, but did you cut it on each end to make it fit into the corners? Or did you just wedge it in? (That’s what I did and it worked ok but not sure if that’s recommended!). Thanks again!

35. sara gerdes

June 2, 2018 at 4:50 PM

I just made this, and it turned out great, super easy. I made ours without the pickets, and just used extra wire fencing similar to your fence. It’s still really sturdy and surprisingly lightweight. Really appreciate any DIY that doesn’t require a kregg jig or specialty tools. Thanks for the post!