J … Japanese Maple

a-to-z-letters-j

J … Japanese Maple

I have wanted to buy one for my yard since I saw it in a garden at “The House on the Rock” in Wisconsin, last summer.

Have you seen one? Delicate, breezy looking, and red vibrant color.

I was in love at first look!

Hang on … I will find you a picture 🙂

Japanese Maple Tree

What I learned …

1. I want the dwarf variety and think ‘Fireglow’ is the one I want.
  2. These trees thrive in warmer climates but you can find varieties that will do fine in colder climates. (I did see it in Wisconsin after all!)
  3. I want to plant it by Miss Precious playhouse (the one I am building her this summer)
  4. I need to research it more, before I buy one, to make sure it will survive our winters.

For those of you who are really into plants and their botanical names I am including the information below. Me? I read blah, blah, blah.

‘Fireglow ‘Japanese Maple is all I need to know 🙂

Hugs and a BIG thank you to Mr Man for covering for me yesterday while I took medicine and went to sleep!

I Love that man!!!

Bloodgood’ 5-7 meters, upright red palmatum
‘Chikumano’ 3-5 meters, wide spreading palmatum deep, rich dark purple red, orange in fall, medium sized tree of spreading habit
‘Fireglow’ 4-5 meters, upright red palmatum
‘Italy Red’ 3-4 meters, upright red palmatum, description: This plant is very similar to ‘Bloodgood’ in leaf and habit except that it is slower growing and only reaches half its size. ‘Italy Red’ is very sturdy, tolerates wind and sun, and eventually forms a small upright tree up to 3 meters tall. It is worth considering for gardens in which ‘Bloodgood’ would be too large. It is thought to have been received from an Italian source, hence its name. This cultivar has also been misspelled ‘Haly Red.’
(This one may best fit a dwarf ‘Bloodgood.’)
‘Curtis Strapleaf’ 3-4 meters upright red linearilobum
‘Ko murasaki’ 3-5 meters, upright red matsumurae
‘Nigrum’ 4-6 meters, upright red palmatum
‘O kagami’ 4-6 meters, upright red palmatum
‘Shojo’ 2-4 meters, upright red matsumurae
‘Sumi nagashi’ 4-6 meters, upright red matsumurae ‘The Bishop’ 4-6 meters, upright red palmatum
‘Tsukushi gata’ 4-6 meters, wide red amoenum
‘Vandermoss Red’ 4-6 meters, upright red matsumurae

12 Responses to "J … Japanese Maple"

1. Lael

April 11, 2013 at 9:13 PM

WANT! I had no idea they could be so tiny. I have this vision of a fairy garden, that tree would go perfectly. Thanks for this post!

2. Kirsten

April 12, 2013 at 1:40 AM

It’s a beautiful tree! I think I’ve seen one before at a bonsai exhibition but didn’t know it was called fireglow – perfect name! 🙂

Short Story Ideas &
    Just Ermie

3. Betty Alark

April 12, 2013 at 7:21 AM

I want one! It is so beautiful! I can just imagine having that in the garden and coming out in the morning sun rise or at anytime of the day and peering upon it! What a joy!!

Thanks for sharing such a beautiful sight to behold!!

April 12, 2013 at 9:03 AM

I have one in my yard (don’t know what one). Not sure how dwarf it is though, but is a pretty thing in Fall, one of the last to change color in our yard.
    Bliss

April 12, 2013 at 4:42 PM

Lael,
    I am sure that this may be a young one … they are dwarf in size but I think this may be smaller than normal. I love the idea of a fairy garden!!! Would love to see yours if you do one!

April 12, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Kirsten,
    I love it too. A bonsai exhibition … interesting.

April 12, 2013 at 4:47 PM

Betty,
    They are just so pretty. I think it will be a great addition to my yard. Now to find one (and wait for the snow to melt) 🙂

April 12, 2013 at 4:49 PM

Bliss,
    How tall is your tree? I wish you had a name so that I would know which ones do best here 🙂 Oh well … I will be on the hunt as soon as the snow melts!

9. KaTy Did

April 13, 2013 at 1:11 PM

I have a full size J Maple in my front yard and love it. So pretty even when the leaves drop in the Fall and Winter.
    KaTy Did at: Life’s Ride As I See It
    A-Z

April 13, 2013 at 8:12 PM

That is so great to know! I see that they have Red stems through the winter … I am so excited!!!!

11. Betty Alark

April 18, 2013 at 8:29 AM

Lets us know when you find the tree!!

Have a great day!