I … Instructions

They say there’s no “I” in Team, but without a Team there would be no “I”.

Bj is under the weather so I get to “guest host” for just one day.

(She will be back for “J”)

a-to-z-letters-i

I … Instructions:

Some people, when using a new product or tool for the first time, will do this one thing first. They actually read the instructions. People like Bj.  Then there are people like me. People who occasionally make the mistake of throwing the instructions out with the packaging before they realize they need them.

Bj will also keep receipts, manuals, and warranties on products that were purchased 20+ years ago. I know this because when I go through that rather large box it includes “instructions” on items we haven’t had for years, and more than likely on items that are no longer made. “Instructions first” is probably a good policy, but I must admit old habits are hard to break, so it’s a good thing I’m married to Bj.

She is also the “creative” one, and when she’s involved in that process she doesn’t always have instructions. She in fact, writes them down as she goes. On the floor, on the wall, on a 2×4 stud, on a napkin, on her hand, on her computer, or anywhere else that seems convenient. That’s part of the beauty of DIY projects. You get to do it the way you think it should be done. No (one else’s) instructions necessary.

So one of the lessons I’ve learned being married to Bj that last 7+ years, is that if in the beginning, you follow the instructions and learn how to use the tools of your trade, when it comes to being creative, your “instructions” are the only ones that really matter.

It’s just too bad I didn’t come with any.

Mr Man

7 Responses to "I … Instructions"

1. Kathy (Sis)

April 9, 2013 at 10:23 PM

The two if you make a GREAT team !! Good job filling in, Mr Man. Hope Bj is feeling better soon ❤

2. Evelyn @ My Turn for us

April 10, 2013 at 8:17 AM

LOL!! You lucky man!! Yeah BJ is pretty (totally) awesome! Great line “When it comes to being creative, your “instructions” are the only ones that really matter”!
    You know (Ok maybe you don’t but BJ probable does) I am totally stealing that line!! LOL
    Hope your lady feels better very soon!!

3. Jan Rider Newman

April 10, 2013 at 8:56 AM

We have a drawer full of manual and instructions too. Every now and then I weed out the stuff we don’t need anymore. “Instructions” and “creativity” don’t have much in common. You’re right.

4. Teresa

April 10, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Um, I try to put things together all by myself first by looking the pictures, THEN I go back and read the instructions.

April 12, 2013 at 4:37 PM

Evelyn,
    Steal away 🙂 I am on the mend but boy that cold hit me HARD!!! Just now getting back to the computer to answer 🙂 I had my Root Canal today too. All went well.

April 12, 2013 at 4:38 PM

Jan,
    I only weed the instructions out when I am looking for something specific … otherwise I don’t bother 🙂 Good thing I have a box!

April 12, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Teresa,
    Sooo that is why ikea doesn’t bother with words!? My grand daughter loves for me to make up the words to the picture instructions. As if we are reading a book!