How well do you know your Mother?

Do you look at your Mother from your “childhood eyes”? or have you been blessed to see your Mother in a whole new way through your adult understanding?

Here, is my Mother.

A strong Czechoslovakian woman who is as complex as she is simple.

I just had the privilege of being out in California with my Mother again, to take care of her medical needs and to help with decisions for her life going forward. It was a week of errands, Dr visits, and a long “To Do List”! More important for me … I came to see her with new eyes. The eyes of someone who took the time to  see her as a woman instead of a Mom. As the week unfolded, I asked her many questions about her … before she became “Just My Mother”.

When I was out in Cali the last time for my Father’s funeral, I took pictures of my Mother’s decorating style (or lack thereof) with the intent of sharing how different her and I are. I could not think of a way to share the pictures without seemingly putting her down. So, I didn’t share them. I now understand the reasons behind her style.

One, she had no interest in decorating at all. None. Ziltch. Nada.

Personally, I find that incredible, as it is as natural to me as breathing. I cannot look at anything without thinking of ways to enhance it.

It is in my nature but not in hers.

Two, we were poor.

Dad, made it to the 9th grade before he dropped out of school to help on his parent’s farm. What he lacked in education, he made up for in HARD WORK, providing the basics for a family with 4 children. They were also raised through the depression where you saved EVERYTHING!

She still has the table I grew up with …

(These are a second set of chairs.)

Almost everything she has … she has had since I was a child.

There is nothing like living with your parents, as an adult, for an extended length of time, to see things in a different light. What I saw as being dirt poor, was really saving for their future. They were able to tuck away a nest egg for Mom to live on comfortably in her later years. I am so proud of them for the way in which they took on responsibility and gave up so much so that they could plan for the future.

I am blessed. I know it, and am thankful daily. My parents taught me responsibility and ownership of my life.

The Lessons I learned?

1. I don’t want to pay someone what I can do myself.

2. I can create while finding great deals.

3. If I take care of things … they will last longer.

and 4. Don’t forget to plan for your future!

Thank you Mom for your life lessons!

4 Generations of women … My mother’s lineage.

Share with me about your Mother and what you learned about her as an adult.

9 Responses to "How well do you know your Mother?"

1. Julie

January 20, 2013 at 7:25 PM

I love this post so much BJ. Your Mom is beautiful just like you. Even though your very different, I can tell that you love each other so much! I love that 2nd last photo of you both…you need to get that on in a frame! God bless your Mom! I hope you don’t mind…I’m sharing this on my FB page. XO

January 21, 2013 at 12:50 PM

Thank you so much Julie! I know that it is a personal post so not much of a response. Some days, we post our lives :) With my dad recently passing away and going back and forth to California for my Mother … it is my life right now. My family will aways come first! You can post it to your face book, yes :) You are such a sweetie and I appreciate it so much!!!!

3. Teresa R

January 21, 2013 at 4:05 PM

My mom went to heaven August of last year. She lost her dad when she was 7 years old and her mom worked in a sewing factory. My mom worked her way through nursing school.
    My mom had a closet full of clothes, a couple of fur coats, and expensive but tasteful household items and decorations. She was allergic to all metals except 24k gold. She kept her fridge and freezer filled with food.

January 21, 2013 at 5:25 PM

Teresa,
    Your mom sounds like she was a very responsible woman as well! She had to overcome a lot to be where she was. I am so sorry to hear of your loss. My Father went to Heaven in September.

5. debbiedoos

January 21, 2013 at 8:27 PM

That is as sweet as sweet can get right there! Tis is so true. I just think today’s generation is so much more into decor and decorating because it is dictated by retail. Things were so much simpler than. My husbands grandparents still have the very same table as when their kids were young too. They are very comfortable financially and his Grandfather retired at the age of 52 and is now 85! It is something. My Mom decorates and that is where I get it from. I choked on a curtain ring when I was three years old sitting on the bed watching her:) She had to flip me and hit me on the back LOL! Anyhow, thanks for taking us down memory lane on this special post.

January 22, 2013 at 9:09 PM

Oh my goodness … you choked on a curtain ring???? I am so glad she saved you! You are so right about retail and us buying into the next new thing. I really had a wake up call thinking of all the things I have bought that I really didn’t need. Guilty! I have to say that I feel very blessed. Thank you for sharing about your family … retired at 52! Wow!

7. Cherished Handmade Treasures

January 22, 2013 at 10:05 PM

What a beautiful post. You have posted some lovely photos of you and your mom. :) Thanks for sharing them with us on the Creative Corner Hop.

Sandy
    Cherished Handmade Treasures

January 23, 2013 at 8:57 AM

I would probably say many of the same things about my mom as you said about yours, especially in the decorating department. But like you, I “get” it all now, but maybe not so much when I was younger. That is a combo of being older myself, and also seeing my mom as she was not how I wanted her to be.

Bliss

9. Rose Francis

January 24, 2013 at 3:44 AM

BJ, thank you for sharing about your mom and childhood. My mom was 75 yesterday but looks and acts every bit of my age 50.
    She is the “rock” of our family and so very strong. We moved out of my childhood home when I was 8 years old.
    This house still has paneling on the walls and a wood burning stove. Don’t get me wrong, they have central heat and air (this keeps cost down on the electric bill.) My brother and I had the bathroom remodeled 2 years ago from the vintage green tile. She still insisted on having wallpaper!
    I love going home to this small brick ranch house that is nestled in the valley of the TN mountains with pecan, walnut, pear, apple, peach trees, rose bushes and Lilly of the valley.