Recovering a Piano bench

My piano has been in the family about 25 years but will be “For Sale” soon.
It is in really great shape … until you look closer at the piano bench …
Come closer to get a really good look!
Once upon a time … we had a cat. Need I say more? :)
It needs a new covering and JoAnn Fabrics had an upholstery sale. I also bought some batting.
4 easy steps
1. Remove the bench top.
2. Place on top of folded batting and trim to desired length.
3. Place on upholstery fabric and use staple gun compressor staple gun. (The regular staple gun would not penetrate the bench top.) Make cut as shown to eliminate extra bulk at corners.
4. Trim and reattach top to bench.

BEFORE and AFTER
An easy change to make a BIG difference!
I hope this finds you all having a great day!

16 Responses to "Recovering a Piano bench"

1. Doreen@househoneys

October 24, 2012 at 9:58 PM

You did a very professional looking job on this bench! Don’t you just love staple guns? A friend of mine just did the same thing. She almost forgot the batting, which is super important to create that puffy look that is so important.. Well done!

October 25, 2012 at 4:25 AM

Thank you Doreen, I remembered the batting because I didn’t want the leather strips to show! :) For my first time … it went really well!

3. Julie redheadcandecorate.com

October 25, 2012 at 5:27 AM

That was EASY…I am not a seamstress so fabric scares me a bit. That looks great-beautiful color & pattern. Good call BJ!

4. Maxie Sykes

October 26, 2012 at 12:52 AM

Love the new look, im just wonder if you use dropcloth to your piano chair.

5. thistlewoodfarm

October 26, 2012 at 10:15 AM

bj,

This looks amazing! I love the new fabric! So sophisticated!

You go girl!

Have a great day rock star!
    karianne

6. notme

October 27, 2012 at 9:22 AM

Looks wonderful! Love your choice of fabric.

October 27, 2012 at 10:26 AM

I used to sew a long time ago but this is really an easy way to go :) Thank you!

October 27, 2012 at 10:28 AM

I didn’t want to go with the drop cloth look for this piano bench as it wasn’t the style of the piano, I am sure that you could use it though if that is the look you are going for!

October 27, 2012 at 10:32 AM

Thank you … that is the look I was going for! Hope you are having a great day too!

October 27, 2012 at 10:36 AM

Thank you so much. I am so fortunate to have found just what I was looking for … AND ON SALE! :)

October 29, 2012 at 9:39 AM

How come you are selling it?

Bliss

12. Tani@Tagana Rose

November 4, 2012 at 3:08 AM

You did such a wonderful job on this! I love the new colour and pattern you have chosen. Hope you had a great weekend:)

November 4, 2012 at 12:02 PM

Thank you! I have missed you. I am in the middle of a BIG project and it is taking all my free time right now. That and Christmas shopping :)

November 4, 2012 at 8:37 PM

The bench looks great!

15. Melanie

April 14, 2013 at 11:15 PM

Thank you SO much for this. We just bought the same piano and bench (except in browns) and that 1980′s Naugahyde had to go! I’ve never upholstered anything before, but my husband just happened to have a rarely-used compressor that I’d been bugging him to re-home for months (thank goodness for procrastination!) with staple gun. I stumbled upon the same fabric as my couches in a remnant pile at Hancock and it was meant to be this weekend. The hardest part was just removing the screws and then finding those holes again. Entire project was scarcely an hour and made a huge improvement. Now I’ve got the bug and have been eyeing other furniture. LOL. I hope you got what you wanted for the piano. Thanks so much for giving me the courage.

April 15, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Melanie,
    Thank you for your comment. It makes it all worth while to share what I do here at home. You made me laugh as I love love love my compressor and Mr Man would have to pry it out of my hands if he ever wanted me to part with it. I have used it in quite a few of my projects. Reading Nook and Playhouse to name a few … Can’t wait to see what you decide to work on next :)