Painting my front door … Before and After!

I left the last post with what I was going to work on this week with my front door. If you remember, it looked like this …
The reason behind changing things up? Mr. Man kept calling our home “The Ranger Station”! Especially once we  put the flag out :) I am not a fan of Hunter Green so off we went to pick out samples ….
These were “Round Two” samples. We spent Hours talking about paint colors. I was going with the  Berry color at the top until I looked across the street and saw both houses with that door color! Other popular door colors seem to be, Green, White, and Dark Brown. We already had Forest Khaki that we chose for the front bay window and I didn’t want to repaint that so I looked for something that had some green in it and then a pop of color for the door. Here is the color scheme that Mr. Man and I chose …
I started with the door first as I was excited to see a Big change.
I thought that I would paint the oval of the door a different color but, yuck, nope! I decided on a solid blue color.
Then I painted the oxidized squares around the windows the brown color but it made it look to boxy so I started to paint the blue to see if I liked that better. Nope. Now I had a Swedish looking home and that was worse than the Ranger Station (no offense to Sweden … it is just not the look that I was looking for here in Minnesota!) So out came the paint to cover up that color and here is the look that I ended up with …
Now I get to accessorize, but that is something that I like to take my time doing. I added shade loving plants as this front side of my home faces North West. They are plants that I can add to my yard in the fall too. Win – Win.
Everyone loves a “Before and After” …
I do have one thing that I want to replace sooner rather than later …
LOL. Yup, a new door bell. I am on to my next quest  :)

22 Responses to "Painting my front door … Before and After!"

1. Misti @ Living On Cypress Hill

June 17, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Looks great! I painted mine this winter/spring, too, and it does a lot to freshen up the house. I love your colors!

2. isthisloadbearing.com

June 18, 2012 at 5:46 AM

Love it! I am in the process of looking for paint colors so I can paint mine.

3. Cynthia

June 18, 2012 at 7:41 AM

I love the new color it is very pretty. I like it with the brick. Saw you at Debbiedoos.

Cynthia

4. Deidre

June 18, 2012 at 11:45 AM

Great color choice in the end! Your cracking me up about the Sweeds!:)) Lovely job. Deidre~ http://simplysimplisticated4.blogspot.com

June 18, 2012 at 4:04 PM

Blue door = no more ranger station.

6. Sherry

June 18, 2012 at 6:36 PM

Hi Bj,

Stopping by from Debbiedoos. I love the new color; we recently changed from Hunter Green to Black. The power of paint is amazing. Have a great week, enjoy!!!

7. Sherry

June 18, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Hi Bj,

Me again; just wanted to say thank you for stopping by – I am sure we’ll be in touch!

8. Tani@Tagana Rose

June 19, 2012 at 7:46 AM

What a gorgeous colour you chose!! I hope you have a fantastic week!
    Best wishes from Australia,
    Tani:)

9. Full Circle Creations

June 19, 2012 at 7:21 PM

I love the blue! Your door looks great. My parents house has almost the same door including the side windows. Thanks for sharing at the All Star Block Party.

Holly

10. Sharon

June 19, 2012 at 7:55 PM

Love your door! I wish I had as much motivation to get things done around the outside of my home! :)

11. Sharing Shadymont

June 20, 2012 at 3:40 PM

Your door looks great. Mine is a very similar color.

12. The House at Bluebird Lane

June 21, 2012 at 9:12 AM

Congratulations on being Newbie Spotlighted at Debbiedoo’s! Your new blue door is stunning! I’ve been wavering between green and blue for my front door for a while now…I bought the green paint first, then the blue. I just need to make up my mind! Seeing how lovely your door looks is swaying me towards blue. Thanks so much for sharing! I Just adore your blog. :-)

13. bj

June 21, 2012 at 12:05 PM

From one bj to another, I LOVE your blue door. :)

14. Shannon at Fox Hollow Cottage

June 21, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Congratulations on your Newbie Spotlight. That blue is so pretty and fresh. I like the change it made ;)

15. chateau chic

June 21, 2012 at 7:18 PM

Your entry looks so welcoming. Love the new fresh, bright color of your door.
    I’m a new follower and hope you’ll stop by, Mary Alice

16. Carri

June 22, 2012 at 6:30 AM

Love the change over… looks really nice with the blue..with the different trim colors as well….
    Amazing what some paint can do!!!!!

Thanks so much for sharing with the ALL STARS BLOCK PARTY… =)

Carri
    simplydonewright.blogspot.com

17. Mary

June 22, 2012 at 8:13 AM

Looks Super!! You did a great job on hiding brushstrokes. I’ve been wanting to paint MY front door. I keep holding off because I know the minute I hit it with a brush, I’ll add all sorts of unwanted texture. Any advice?

June 22, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Mary,
    I actually used a small foam roller. It went on fast and easy and did not leave any marks. It was great! I highly recommend it!

19. Liz - Imageremix

June 24, 2012 at 1:16 PM

BJ, Woohoo! You did it and it’s beautiful! I would be beside myself trying to choose a front door color. I need to paint the shutters by my front door and I’m afraid to change the color. Loved seeing what you did. Now I’m off to read about your garage door.
    Liz

20. Maricela Milum

July 5, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Mr. Man sounds funny! Haha. Kidding aside, it is a smart move to repaint your front door. Unlike the previous color, the solid blue paint did justice to the beautiful design of your front door. Since most of your neighbors have green and berry colored doors, your blue door will definitely stand out.

21. - Brittany aka Pretty Handy Girl

July 8, 2012 at 10:38 AM

BJ, it looks so amazing! Kudos to you for going bright. I REALLY need to get moving on painting my front door (that I promised to do months ago.)

22. Julie redheadcandecorate.com

October 25, 2012 at 5:31 AM

Much better!!! I see you have a better door now too…did you get the doorbell fixed yet? I’ve always wanted one that lights up. The simple things- :)