Staining a cement walkway …

So … here I was, watching “Curb Appeal” on the DIY network … and when they did a makeover on a home that had a red cement walkway to the house. They. Stained. It!!!!! I looked at Mr Man and he instantly read what I was thinking. We need to do something like that! Now, we do not have a red cement walkway … we have a plain Minnesota, I see extreme temperatures, snow shoveling, sometimes salt, walkway. Builders grade. Nothing special.
You can see Paxton in the door window if you look hard 🙂 He wants to be out in the yard with us.
Ok, focus! Notice the two toned nothing special cement. A step by step through the process …
1. Wash cement to make sure it is clean! Mr Man brought out his power washer last night and washed away all the dirt so that it would be dry by this morning.

2. The first coat to be applied is 1/2 of the cement stain (shade … Riveting) mixed with 8 ounces of water. It makes a slurry and is the base coat.

Cutting in the stain.

Rolling it on.

Cutting it in.

AND, roll it on. 🙂

Wait 2 hours to let 1st coat dry … eat lunch.

3. 2nd coat is full strength stain with an Anti – Skid additive. No slipping on my walkway thank you!

2nd coat is done and now to stay off of it for 72 hours.

We have a chipmunk that poops on my porch. I also have a relocation program 🙂

Before …                                                                             After …

What’s next? Fixing a problem and new brick install. Stay tuned 🙂

28 Responses to "Staining a cement walkway …"

1. ♥ Sonny ♥

June 4, 2012 at 3:55 AM

Love it Bj..

I’ll be getting some for my back patio..

yours looks fabulous..

stopping in for a peek from Debbiedoo’s party..
    your newest follower
    Sonny

2. Kelly

June 4, 2012 at 7:49 AM

Your walkway looks amazing. The darker colour adds some real depth to your front entryway.

3. Penny

June 4, 2012 at 8:08 AM

I like this idea, your walkway looks great! Thanks for sharing! Penny

4. The House at Bluebird Lane

June 4, 2012 at 11:06 AM

Bj, The after looks fabulous! I’ve been wanting to do our covered front porch and back patio for a while now. Thanks for the inspiration! 🙂
    Sharla

5. Create Inspire Motivate

June 4, 2012 at 11:33 AM

It’s amazing what a difference that makes. It looks great! I have been wanting to try something like this, but didn’t realize how doable it was. Thanks for the post.

-Mandi

June 4, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Fabulous. Quit relocating your chip monks to my side of Minnesota please.

7. Anonymous

June 4, 2012 at 9:21 PM

I really like your stained sidewalk. Its so pretty!

Pamela
    Ohio

8. Misti @ Living On Cypress Hill

June 4, 2012 at 9:22 PM

That looks great!! It makes me wish I had a walkway!

9. Debbiedoo's

June 5, 2012 at 6:25 AM

Looks so fresh and nice now. We have stained our garage in the past and it looked great and held up well too. Thanks for sharing with the newbie party.

10. Karima

June 5, 2012 at 8:08 AM

What a brilliant idea – never thought of this before!

June 5, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Thank you Pamela for stopping by and for leaving a comment. I love it when people take the time to chat! 🙂 I am enjoying the walkway so much!!!

12. Michelle

June 5, 2012 at 7:14 PM

Great job it looks like brand new. I have ripped out my driveway and the path to the front door will be going next so that may be me in a few weeks, painting the paving! I have the hot sun to contend with, but no snow here in Australia, it must be hard finding something that can deal with both extremes of the climate. This looks great anyways, great job 🙂

13. Daniela @Frugal Aint Cheap

June 5, 2012 at 7:53 PM

what a difference it makes!

14. Kristel

June 5, 2012 at 8:01 PM

I love this! I have been thinking about doing this in my front and back areas with this, and after seeing your after pictures, I may just take the plunge. I don’t know how I will be able to not let any one walk on it for 72 hours after, I also have pesky little rottens, that love to visit often.

15. Rooms by Ann

June 5, 2012 at 11:05 PM

Wow, you posted just in time I am having some cement worries,Your looks so fresh and clean. I will be trying this.Thanks so much for posting.Happy to be a follower.

16. Deb

June 6, 2012 at 9:58 AM

BJ- this looks great! We are replacing a concrete sidewalk and have a concrete pool repair area that we want to look like it was on purpose and NOT look like a patch. I have the creative wheels spinning now to do something with stain! Did you use acrylic or acid stain? I’m just starting the googling process!

June 6, 2012 at 11:25 AM

I used acrylic and I love it! We had a patch job on the bottom step that you can’t even see anymore. Read the “Clarifying” Staining the Cement walkway and it will talk about the difference 🙂 Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to write a comment!

18. Shasta @ intheoldroad

June 6, 2012 at 9:42 PM

Your sidewalk looks so good and the color looks really good with your brick. I’d love it if you would consider sharing this at our All Star Block Party. We are a group of 5 blogs sharing 1 link party. Your link would appear on all 5 blogs.

Shasta

19. heather @ new house, new home, new life

June 7, 2012 at 6:37 AM

This is amazing! Love how the colour you chose works so well with the brick on your house. Job well done!!

Thanks for linking up with our All Star Block Party (I’m one of the other hosts)

20. Carri

June 7, 2012 at 9:42 AM

I came over from the ALL STARS BLOCK PARTY… I’m so glad I did.. this really made an awesome difference in how your walk looks… I really really like it…. Great job!!! Thank for sharing…

Carri
    simplydonewright.blogspot.com

21. Ashley

June 8, 2012 at 2:09 PM

I think it looks great!! I wonder if it would work on cement pavers. Thanks for the step by step walk through!!

22. DebbieDoesCreations

June 10, 2012 at 1:48 PM

Love it! Now to fix the big crack in ours before we bring anymore attention to it 😉 Thanks so much for sharing at Toot Your Horn Tuesday 🙂

23. Peppermint_Patt

June 12, 2012 at 2:40 PM

Loved it on HGTV and especially loved seeing you make this a “doable” project!

24. Brandy~GreyLaneHome

June 30, 2012 at 11:02 AM

Hi BJ today I am Leibster Awarding you I think your transformations to the front of your home are amazing. I will be linking up this amazing project on my site. Thanks for sharing this project it helped me convince the HUBS that this was a easy project.

25. Our Pinteresting Family

July 5, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Great job! It looks fantastic!! Megan

26. Kristin

August 28, 2015 at 3:03 PM

Hi! I see you stained the walkway in 2012. I’m just curious as to how it has held up? Any peeling? Thanks!

September 4, 2015 at 9:49 AM

Kristin,
    Did you see the “Update” I just did on the walkway? It has been 3 years now, so you may want to see the results!!!! Hugs

28. Suzie

May 9, 2016 at 3:44 PM

How has the stain held up through your Minnesota winters? Looks wonderful!