J2J’s Mission Possible – Front yard!

When we moved into our home, the front planters next to the house, were filled with over grown plants that had to be pruned back to show the brickwork. They were so overgrown, that when we cut them back they didn’t have much green on them anymore. They were just a tangle of branches. So… we set about changing them.
The Arborvitae were big and half brown. They were also heavy feeling against the garage wall.
Not to mention they block the view out front!
Look how open it all is now that Mr. Man took his chain saw to the shrubs! I am loving it!!!
Rocks, rocks, rocks! Landscape fabric. Roots. Everything had to come out in order to replant! Mr. Man was the muscle behind this project!
We planted “Burning Bush” where the Arborvitae were, and in the fall, they will be a spectacular Red color! We added the flag pole after we painted the wood on the bay window a slight green color.
Mr Man, once again, chain saw in hand, cut away the old dying shrubs and the evergreen shrubs that drove him crazy. We planted ferns (transplanted from the back yard), we kept the existing Hostas that we uncovered (Yay us!), and then planted Sedum, Stella Dora Lilies, Cone flower, Russian Sage, and another flower that I planted and don’t remember what it was. It hasn’t bloomed yet so I guess I will see in about a month :)
Add a birdbath …
and Mr Gnome!
A great view now from my front door!
Because I am all about making things better … Next, we plan on removing the bricks from around the walkway, staining the cement and sealing it, and painting the door and wood around it. Stay tuned for changes that are always happening around my home!
Before …
After …
I hope you enjoyed our “journey” of making the front area just a bit better!
I am linking up to “Mission Possible”.

Karianne@Thistlewood Farms
Karah@The Space Between
Linda@It all started with Paint
Andrea@The Cottage Market
Kelly@Electrically Vintage

12 Responses to "J2J’s Mission Possible – Front yard!"

1. Karah @ thespacebetweenblog

May 29, 2012 at 5:48 AM

WOW! A HUGE thumbs up to Mr. Man. It really does open that space up. It is always amazing to me how rewarding a few landscaping changes can be!! Thank you so much for the shout out and sharing at our The Great Outdoors party!
    Karah @ thespacebetweenblog

2. pam {simple details}

May 29, 2012 at 6:12 AM

Such a great update, I love your hostas!

3. Deb

May 29, 2012 at 10:18 AM

Looks great!

4. Deidre

May 29, 2012 at 10:53 AM

WOW! See where a little muscle can get you! lol Everything looks Fabulous!Your efforts certainly paid off well:) Deidre~ http://simplysimplisticated4.blogspot.com Stop over and chat with a fellow gardener:)

5. Linda @ it all started with paint

May 29, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Joy, the after is like a fresh breath of air! Seriously fabulous curb appeal there …

Thanks so much for linking up at our party!

Linda

6. Brandy

May 29, 2012 at 2:56 PM

I love all your hostas. Your new front yard is wonderful. Looks like a new house.

7. The Cottage Market {Andrea} ♥

May 29, 2012 at 5:44 PM

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!!!!!!!! did you rock this project or WHAT!!!!!! applause for you! tons of hugs — CONGRATS and thanks for linking up with our party!!

8. ♥ Sonny ♥

May 30, 2012 at 8:54 AM

holee macaronie that looks FABULOUS~!!!!!

9. thistlewoodfarm

May 30, 2012 at 9:42 AM

What a wondeful, wonderful front yard. You make me want to kick off my flip flops and run with the grass squishing beneath my feet :)

Thanks for the inspiration and for linking up :)

Happy Great Outdoors Day!
    blessings,
    karianne

10. Mother4

May 31, 2012 at 4:13 PM

Looks wonderful!!! Be aware that the coneflower re seed and you will have them everywhere next year! Put them in a pot and then sink it in the ground to prevent them from spreading. I started with one 6 years ago and now I have thousands

11. Mother4

May 31, 2012 at 4:13 PM

12. Erin @ Chronic Christian Crafter

May 31, 2012 at 11:08 PM

I LOVE the change…when we moved into our home (4 years ago) we had the same issue as you with some bushes along the side of our sidewalk…we are looking to remove them this year…and, you have definitely inspired me. Your tranformation is WONDERFUL!!! Thanks for sharing and linking up with us @ Toot Your Horn Tuesday! I love your before and after!

Erin