“M” is for Murphy Bed … It’s finished!!!

M … is for Murphy Bed and it is finally finished and installed! Can I get a Woo Hoo?!
I have been asked quite a few times if I had finished my Murphy Bed, and the resounding answer is … Yes!
Let me take you back in time, if I may. I found a Murphy Bed plan on Ana White’s website (Ana-White.com) and thought, “I can make that!” I need an extra bed in the guest room for the little ones that come visit and this seemed to be the perfect solution. So began the “journey”…
Making the frame was the easiest part of the process for me, even though I had to adjust the plans to make it sideways instead of up and down.
Before I could attach it to the wall, I needed to paint the room. I had been wanting to do it since we moved in 3 years ago. It was a Salmon color … but I will tell you all about that later in another post :)
This is the step that everything fell apart for me! I had this amazing idea (I thought I was going to wow the web world with my brilliance … HA!) I was going to do a decoupage of Paper bags and these really pretty napkins for the added color. I had the bags already and the napkins I got on sale. Woo Hoo, watch me go!
It seemed like a good idea at the time. If you look at this picture… you might even be impressed. Briefly. In a small area it was really pretty. This process by the way … takes FOREVER! I cannot tell you the amount of time that it took! Wrinkle up the paper just to lay it out flat again. Ugh! I try not to think of it as wasted time but, “as a learning experience”. :)
This bed front wasn’t turning out as I had hoped. I had in my mind’s eye what it would look like and this was not it! So I changed plans. DIY people need to think on their feet and change ideas when needed. At least that is what I do :) I found this upholstery fabric at Goodwill for $1.99 and it was just what I wanted. It had that Chevron feel and the colors were perfect for the Guest room.
Decoupage to the rescue again … This time to adhere the fabric to the bed front.
I wanted this bed to look like a dresser as it was going to be on it’s side, and there isn’t a  dresser in the room. I will show you the whole room later … but the short version is, I have a luggage rack for guests. (Just like a Hotel) :) I attached drawer handles on the top two spaces to look like drawers. It also helps with opening and closing.
I stenciled the corners of the top “drawers” and then added the
lock. I do not want little ones getting hurt. (I still need to spray paint the lock a bronze color so that it matches the room.)
I attached the front portion of the bed with 4 door hinges.
I ended up getting a twin mattress and of course covered it with a mattress cover. Waterproof!
Are you ready for the big reveal?!
I love it! And it works too. I kid you not!!! I already used it just to see, and it is so comfortable.
So … comments? questions? observations? Share your thoughts with me.
Hope you had an amazing Saturday. For all of you in the storms today … you are in my prayers. Stay safe! Hugs,

I am partying at …

Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special

DIY Show Off

40 Responses to "“M” is for Murphy Bed … It’s finished!!!"

1. Stephanie

April 15, 2012 at 5:16 AM

That is so cool! I love how you made it look like a dresser. It makes the room feel cozy and cute when it’s not in use, but it’s so practical for when you have extra guests! I’m pinning this to my home idea board.

2. SheilaG @ Plum Doodles

April 15, 2012 at 7:06 AM

I saw your post over at Hometalk and just had to pop in and say hi! What a great project- I love your faux dresser idea!

3. Ashley

April 15, 2012 at 7:55 AM

Fantastic!! I could definitely use one of these in one of our spare bedrooms…

April 15, 2012 at 8:48 AM

Come make me one. Love it. The dresser guise is clever and it looks great. M is for magnificent.

April 15, 2012 at 9:54 AM

I tried to email you back but it was a no reply. Thank you for stopping by. Don’t you just like “Home Talk”? It is great!!!

6. craftythriftydecoratingwifemom

April 15, 2012 at 10:38 AM

one word—AWESOME!!

7. Rosemary@villabarnes

April 15, 2012 at 11:56 AM

I love your bed. Looks great from the outside. Very clever.

8. Debbiedoo's

April 15, 2012 at 1:01 PM

That is an awesome project, and it looks fantastic. Thanks so much for sharing with the newbie party.

9. Toodie

April 15, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Um, could you come to my house and do that? Absolutely, incredibly, awesomely cool!

10. Michelle

April 15, 2012 at 7:11 PM

What an amazing and creative idea! It looks fantastic! :)

11. Corn in my Coffee-Pot

April 15, 2012 at 10:20 PM

Wow! I absolutely love this idea! What a great space saving project. I know murphy beds have been around for decades…but yours has brought this little idea into the 21st century for me.
    I so need one of these in my house!

…now my wheels are turning!

Pat

12. thistlewoodfarm

April 16, 2012 at 7:34 AM

What an amazing project! I love this idea and it would be perfect for the playroom! I want to pin it, but I wanted to check with you first! Thanks for sharing and have an incredible day!

blessings,
    karianne

13. Rachelle @ Adventures in Creating

April 16, 2012 at 12:24 PM

How cool! Love that you can’t even tell it’s a bed when not in use. If you have some time I’d love it if you’d stop by my blog to check out the giveaway I’m having for a Ramsign Home Sign!

14. Roxanne Reinhart

April 16, 2012 at 2:09 PM

OMG – you made that? Incredible – fabulous idea to make it appear as a dresser when not in use. You rocked it!!

15. Tina

April 17, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Now that is just too cool! You did a wonderful job!!!

16. AngelCakes

April 17, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Fantastic idea!!!

17. Christa @ Controlling Craziness

April 17, 2012 at 11:50 AM

That is awesome! I love that it is turned on the side and looks like a dresser. I am now thinking of doing this in one of my kids rooms so they’d have more floor space to play. Thanks for sharing and getting my wheels turning on a project like this.

18. Miss Alicia

April 17, 2012 at 4:02 PM

This is totally fabulous!! I was searching for a “sideways” murphy bed for my sewing room/guest room, and this is exactly the ticket!!! Now I need to figure out what steps you had to do to turn it on its side. It is GREAT!!! And I LOVE the idea of disguising it as a dresser!!! BRILLIANCE!!!

19. Jean

April 17, 2012 at 6:19 PM

I love it! What a great idea. I saw this on FB. Jean

20. Jerrilynn Atherton

April 17, 2012 at 6:23 PM

Please, please, please…share the instructions!! Please??? Pretty please???

21. gardensandgarlic

April 17, 2012 at 6:50 PM

Very nice! Don’t you love it when a project turns out like you wanted?!

22. Teralyn Byrd

April 18, 2012 at 11:21 AM

looks like my comment is MIA.

I was curious if the handles cause the front facing “drawers” to not lie flat and if that causes any problems

I love this idea and am thinking of trying it with a full size bed.

April 18, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Because it is on carpet … it is no problem at all for me. If on a hardwood floor I might change it to another method, like a leather handle? Those look cute :)

Hope this helps,

24. CrazyHomemadeMom

April 18, 2012 at 9:39 PM

I am wondering if I can get a copy of your measurements and such. I would love to make a few of these for each of my children’s rooms. They are tiny, and these would clear up floor space.

25. Evolution Insurance

April 19, 2012 at 8:17 AM

Yes, I would love to know your dimensions as well. I’m thinking of doing this exact same thing! You made it look easy! (Hopefully it is too!)

April 19, 2012 at 8:37 PM

Width 82 X Height 44.5 and yes … it was easy :)

April 19, 2012 at 8:39 PM

The website that I got the plans from … is in the original post above. Click on Murphy Bed Plan and it will take you to the plans that I used to make this Murphy bed. Thank you Ana White!

28. DIY Show Off

April 21, 2012 at 5:36 PM

Holy cow! AWESOME! You DO make it looks easy. I am in love! Must do this somewhere or for someone! lol! I’m going to include a link back in this week’s highlights. Thank you so much for sharing your hard work and creativity. I.love.it!

29. Cathy

April 22, 2012 at 10:04 AM

What a wonderful job and a fabulous idea…. that is just what I have been looking for. I do have one question… what do you think of if I added feet to the dresser/bed. Then it would be a bit higher off the floor. Oh yes then I guess that I would have to figure out just how to add feet to the front of the dresser/bed. Now I am off to measure and ask my husband for some help…. wish me luck.

30. Journey's End (at the Beach)

April 22, 2012 at 10:56 AM

I found you on HomeTalk and can’t get off your blog! I almost didn’t check this out because I thought a Murphy Bed would be out of my league. You made it looks so easy that I am defineately going to do this. I have a room that I want to make my everything room, office/guest room that has to be done top to bottom and this is a MUST. Thank you for sharing!
    ~pat

31. Fiona, LilyfieldLife

April 22, 2012 at 5:40 PM

hi BJ – what a great idea. it turned out so well.
    cheers Fiona

32. scrappychica

April 23, 2012 at 8:43 AM

found your site via DIY Show Off, what an incredible and practical concept. I love that it is out of sight but ready whenever an unexpected visitor stays over. tfs!

April 23, 2012 at 3:38 PM

So glad that you liked what you saw … I am now anxious to use it for real (not just a trial run) :)

34. Teralyn Byrd

April 25, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Thanks!
    Today I created a model using your sideways inspiration and some tweaking to see what a full on it’s side raised up would be like. :-)

35. Lara

August 8, 2012 at 8:53 AM

Woo Hoo! That Murphy bed is unbelievable… And, you did it all by yourself! After all those trial and error moments, you totally nailed that bed. Look at that! I take my hat off to you, my friend. If I’ll be visiting your house and enter your room, I wouldn’t have guessed that elegant cabinet-looking furniture is a Murphy bed. Good job! :D

Lara Bathurst

36. Teralyn Byrd

March 4, 2013 at 12:02 PM

Hey BJ-
    So I am revisiting this idea and saw a question that I wanted to ask you. On Anna’s plans she used a Kreg Jig… did you use one too? or did you use something else?

March 4, 2013 at 12:36 PM

Hi,
    Yes I did. I went out and bought one since I knew I would use it again on another project. If you have any questions always feel free to ask!

38. Wall beds arkansas

April 30, 2013 at 11:16 PM

Hello really I like your blog…. it’s an excellent blog post found here… your blog contains very unique and very interesting information, Thanks very much for the share… I’m going follow your blog.

39. Rebecca

October 31, 2013 at 2:53 PM

I am attempting to build my daughter a bed like this. I want to add a book shelf on top and down the side, and have a desk fold down when it is in the closed position. Can you please tell me if it is easy to open and close and what type of hinges and springs you used? My daughter (11yrs) will need to be able to open and close it on her own. I have seen kits but they are more than I would like to spend.

November 2, 2013 at 4:38 PM

I did not use the spring hinge (you are right … they are spendy). I used 3 regular door hinges. I open it close it and I think mine would be too heavy for an 11 yr old.
    I hope this helps. Would love to see yours when you are finished!