Under the Stairs Playhouse … Inside!

Just when you think you are finished with seeing this Under the Stair Playhouse … I am showing inside pictures!!! A bit of history of this fun project first. I was going to make an outdoor playhouse this past summer but because of time constraints and a fence that needed to be made first, I was not able to get started. Long story short … we had to alter our plans due to easements on our property that were not disclosed at time of sale. I really wanted something for Miss Precious to play in (you know how little ones love a place to have to themselves … kind of like adults, right?!) Because I didn’t want anything out in the way like a tent downstairs I decided to look into something that could be built under the stairs. Of course I wanted to see what other people had done so I might glean some ideas. Pinterest is where I started looking and that is where I found Sawdust and Paperscraps Playhouse. I loved the shake roof and the way it was 3 dementional but I didn’t have that shape of space. I did save it to my DIY folder in case I wanted to go back and check it out again. I found another one on Pinterest that I and thousands of others seem to like as well and it was more like my staircase. You know the rest of the story from this post … Who Needs Sleep Anyway?

So today I went downstairs and took some pics of the Under the Stairs playhouse “Inside” because so many of you were curious to see it.

I took this first pic right before I went in. It is not decorated for Christmas any longer but I have kept the winter theme with the snow shoes, pine boughs, and the cardinal sitting on the covered porch :)

Come join me inside ….

Because I didn’t want little ones getting stuck under the landing area, I built a built in bookcase to house baskets of toy food, coloring books, toys, and puzzles. I can still get under the stairs if I need too by unscrewing 2 screws on each side. By tucking it under the stair landing I am able to have more space inside that is usable. Gotta’ love that!

The little table I bought from Ikea for only $20.00. I love the light wood and white and what a deal to save me time! The outside of the Playhouse, I wanted rugged and cabin like, but the inside? I wanted it to be the exact opposite. Delicate and girly. Hence the whites and pinks.

The other side of the playhouse houses her kitchen and baby “Harlow”.

My amazing daughter had a cabbage patch kid when she was younger, so I thought it would be fun to pass on that tradition to Miss Precious. If the truth be told, I think I might have bought it for me because as a child I always loved dolls. Fortunately, Miss Precious does too. I think it skipped a generation. Hee Hee.

Mr Man found this for her when I asked him to look around for a frame. Yup, thats right! We are VIKING fans. (We know we suck this year … just hoping we get a good draft pick!)

A clock to help her learn to tell time :)

I haven ‘t figured out the window treatment out yet so in the in-between time … I am using Tulle from her mommy’s wedding. Obviously I am still finishing up a couple things like caulking, curtains ….

Looking out her window into our family room.
The two black dots on the top door is the door knocker on the other side. Black hinges, two on each door.
Glass door knob and of course the option for both doors opening at the same time or one at a time.
I really love the Berber carpeting. It has a pad attached to it. I bought it at Menards for a really good price!

Because of the girly factor … I told Miss Precious that I blew Pixie Dust on her ceiling. When the paint was wet, I blew glitter on it. It sparkles and gives it texture.

Last, but not least, I leave you with one more outside shot as I finish this and get some sleep! Can you see Mr. Dog asleep on the stair waiting for me? So adorable he is!!!

I hope you en’joy‘ed taking this journey back with me. Hugs and have a great weekend!

Linking to …

Fox Hollow Cottage

Here's to Handy Andy

19 Responses to "Under the Stairs Playhouse … Inside!"

1. Linda

January 20, 2012 at 3:41 AM

Amazing. That is one fantastic project you’ve completed there and how lucky is your little girl to have such an amazing play house!
    I think it’s fabulous how you have utilised a space that would otherwise be wasted and have still made it look so much part of the rest of the room.
    Fabulous!

January 20, 2012 at 8:23 AM

I love this post Joy! ….. Our little Miss Precious loves dolls too (thankfully) as I tooooooo was a doll lover and it skipped a generation here as well (what’s up with that huh?). She carries around her mom’s bald cabbage patch and we have another from our younger daughter that looks the same so she’s never without her fav doll – one at home, one here. The glitter on the ceiling – nice touch, and those Vikings just can’t seem to do anything right anymore can they!

So only one thing I need to know; just what does Miss Precious think of it?

January 20, 2012 at 9:44 AM

She loves it! WE love it! I am in there too with her … good thing it is a bigger space :)

4. Sawdust and Paperscraps

January 21, 2012 at 11:36 AM

BJ I love all the details you put into this. It IS fabulous.

5. isthisloadbearing.com

January 24, 2012 at 6:22 AM

This is amazing! What I would have given to have this as a child! Wait…what I would give to have this as an adult! Unfortunately, our stairwell has been converted to a computer ‘server room’–blah.

You have done an amazing job!

6. Create Inspire Motivate

May 12, 2012 at 9:13 PM

BJ,
    This is such a great project. It looks so fun. Did you make the dutch door? I have been wanting to make one for my playroom, but haven’t really known how. Do you have any suggestions?

-Mandi
    createinspiremotivate.blogspot.com

7. Shannon at Fox Hollow Cottage

July 7, 2012 at 10:59 PM

This is completely amazing and totally magical. I wish I was little again, I would have adored this to the moon and back!!

8. ✯StaceyAnne✯@Rendition Road

July 8, 2012 at 12:13 AM

This sooooo totally beats out my blanket over the dining room table play house when I was a kid! Amazing work, wonderful details, & so very pretty. Wonderful use of space! Pinned :)

9. Steph @ somewhatsimple

July 12, 2012 at 10:41 PM

SO cute!!!!!! I wish I had a space like this in my home!

10. Margo

July 13, 2012 at 11:03 AM

What a sweet little space!

11. kristi

October 6, 2012 at 5:38 PM

Love it!! Can I ask, what did you use for the wooden shingles on the exterior walls. We are building a little house in our basement but can’t find anything that would work- until I saw this.

October 7, 2012 at 7:53 PM

I used cedar shingles that I got at Menards (on sale!) they worked great!!! Hope this helps … and am so glad that you liked what I created :)

13. Jessica

January 3, 2013 at 1:46 PM

Hi! Love love the playhouse! Did you stain the cedar shingles? If so, what color did you use? Thanks!

January 3, 2013 at 9:10 PM

Jessica,
    I did not stain the shakes … I bought them that way. I did stain the shims that I used for the roof. That was “Jacobean” by Minwax. Hope this helps!

15. Camille

April 14, 2013 at 7:26 PM

This is amazing! You sure have a lucky granddaughter!!

April 15, 2013 at 4:30 PM

I am lucky too … I get to play in it with her :)

17. Ben

October 23, 2013 at 7:51 PM

How big did you make the door? I’m planning something very similar to this and am waffling between moving a stud or just making the door 15″ wide. That is pretty small and would make it hard for me to get in there or to put any furniture so I’ll probably open it up and do 20″ or 24.”

October 23, 2013 at 9:56 PM

I made my cut through a stud and made a header just like you would make on a standard door. It is also 4 ft tall. Hope this helps!

19. Jana

December 1, 2013 at 4:06 PM

This is absolutely adorable! We are getting ready to remodel our basement, and I’m thinking about doing a playhouse below the stairs. However, this space just seems so small. Could you let me know what the measurements are for your space? Thanks so much!